If you need to customize your strength training or weightlifting workouts, an adjustable weight bench is an excellent choice. Perfect for both commercial and home gyms, the adjustable weight bench provides support and stabilization while allowing you to diversify your workout. With a host of equipment options available on the market, however, choosing the right adjustable weight bench can feel overwhelming at first. The following guide to the best adjustable weight bench is a great place to start selecting the right equipment for your workout.
- Top 8 Best Adjustable Weight Benches in 2020
- 8. Steelbody Deluxe Six-Position Adjustable Weight Bench
- 7. Gold’s Gym XRS 20 Olympic Adjustable Weight Bench
- 6. Best Choice Products Adjustable Weight Bench
- 5. Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Adjustable Weight Bench
- 4. Marcy Competitor Olympic Adjustable Weight Bench
- 3. JLDN Multi-Function Adjustable Weight Bench
- 2. Marcy Adjustable Weight Bench for Home Gym SB-670
- 1. Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Weight Bench
- Best Adjustable Weight Benches – Buyer’s Guide
Top 8 Best Adjustable Weight Benches in 2020
8. Steelbody Deluxe Six-Position Adjustable Weight Bench
Best Features: As the brand name suggests, Steelbody has plenty of the specifications and features to sculpt your muscles and overall frame. This weight bench is adjustable to six positions for various styles of weightlifting and strength training. Supported exercises include bicep workouts, triceps exercises, back training, abdominal workouts, and full-body bench presses. Thanks to its heavy-duty design, many users describe Steelbody as the best adjustable weight bench for power-lifting or heavyweight users. Because users can adjust the bench into six different positions (including incline and flat), this bench has the versatility required to accommodate everyone from beginners to Olympic trainers. Topped with heavy-duty padding and vinyl covering, the bench also has foot pads and end caps to product your home flooring.
- Assembled Dimensions – 47″L x 25.5″W x 45″H
- Product Weight – 53 lbs.
- Capacity – 800 lbs.
- Designed for use with both weightlifting (free weights and dumbbells), and overall strength training
- Excellent weight capacity of 800 lbs.
- Adjustable to six different positions (including military, incline, and flat)
- Made of stainless steel
- Suitable for power-lifting
- Includes 2.0″ thick padding, sturdy vinyl covering, and capped ends to protect your flooring
- Wider (than average) gap between the headrest and body portion when the bench is in the flat position
7. Gold’s Gym XRS 20 Olympic Adjustable Weight Bench
Best Features: With a name like Gold’s Gym, the reputation of this workout bench precedes it in a great way. Designed to support full-body workouts, the Gold’s Gym bench helps you customize exercises from head to toe. It features a rolled pad to isolate your biceps and forearms while providing the correct amount of support for your triceps. The bench also has a detachable curl yoke to further shape the upper body. You can use the curl yoke to create muscle definition in your arms, chest, and upper back. After your upper-body workout, you can remove the curl yoke to focus exclusively on the lower body. For this purpose, the bench has a six-roll leg developer to shape your quads, hamstrings, gluteus muscles, and hip flexors. Adjustable safety spotters provide support during both bench presses and squats, and a combined 600-lb. weight capacity means that most users can get a great workout.
- Assembled Dimensions – 45″L x 23″W x 15″H
- Product Weight – 114.6 lbs
- Capacity – 600 lbs.
- Olympic multi-Position bench includes incline, decline, upright, and flat
- Six-roll leg developer for quads, hamstrings, buttocks, and hip flexors.
- Rolled pads to isolate biceps and forearms
- Detachable curl yoke to help isolate upper body
- 600-lb. capacity (300-lb. user capacity plus 300-lb. weight set limit)
- Sewn vinyl padding and seating
- Not suitable for use with an Olympic bar or power-lifting
6. Best Choice Products Adjustable Weight Bench
Best Features: If you are looking for an adjustable weight bench with plenty of flexibility, this signature bench from Best Choice Products is a viable option for you. It is a folding and highly adjustable bench that accommodates both upper and lower body workouts, including bench presses, squats, step-ups, and elevated push-ups. This bench includes a fitness barbell rack for easy access during weight training, and the rack also provides space-efficient storage for use in home gyms or personal training sessions. Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, the bench includes padded seating and non-slip surfaces over a rust-resistant bottom frame.
- Assembled Dimensions – 47.5″L x 28″W x 34-41.25″H
- Product Weight – 30.8 lbs.
- Capacity – 330 lbs.
- Bench – 43″L x 10″W x 1.5″Thickness
- Floor-to-Bench Height – 16.75″H
- Folded – 28″L x 15.5″W x 51″H
- Folding adjustable weight bench that accommodates bench presses, squats, step-ups, and elevated push-ups
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Includes a fitness barbell rack for convenient dumbbell access and storage
- Wide upper structure for easy and safe weightlifting
- Non-slip rubber feet enable repetition without sliding
- Padded seated
- Powder-coated, rust-resistant steel frame
- Not suitable for power-lifting or bars over 47″
5. Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Adjustable Weight Bench
Best Features: Searching for a bench with a wide range of angles. Look no further than the Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max. This new and improved version of the Fitness Reality XL bench features a wide backrest with up to 12 adjustable angles. The huge range of angles means that users at any fitness level can find just the right position for sit-ups, dips, angled bench presses, or seated shoulder presses. For lower body workouts, you can adjust the front leg into two positions or use the detachable hold-down bar three additional positions. Transportation wheels allow you to relocate the bench without damaging your flooring, and you can also fold the bench for convenient storage. With an 800-lb. weight capacity, it is no wonder that many users consider this the best adjustable weight bench for serious training.
- Assembled Dimensions – 59″L x 23.5″W x 48.5″H
- Product Weight – 35 lbs.
- Capacity – 800 lbs.
- Backrest – 33.5″L x 12″W
- Seat – 14.5″L x 15.3″W
- Floor-to-Bench Height – 17.75″H
- Folded – 51″L x 23.5″W x 9″H.
- Folding adjustable weight bench for both lifting and weight training
- Excellent weight capacity of 800 lbs.
- Wide backrest adjust to up to 12 angles for sit-ups, dips, angled bench presses, or seated shoulder presses
- Includes detachable hold-down bar for additional lower-body positions
- Transportation wheels for easy portability without damaging your flooring
4. Marcy Competitor Olympic Adjustable Weight Bench
Best Features: Some athletes struggle to find a workout bench that accommodates the Olympic bar. Fortunately, the Marcy Competitor adjustable weight bench now has these athletes covered. This bench features a premium Olympic weight plate post that can accept oversized weight plates and the seven-foot Olympic bar. It also has a multi-position backrest with adjustable-height crutches for up to five different angles. In addition to great features for your upper body, the Marcy Competitor comes with a dual-action leg developer with foam-roller pads to take the strain off of your ankles and knees. With its steel-tubing frame and rust-resistant finish, this bench is durable enough to handle long training sessions.
- Assembled Dimensions – 67″L x 45″W x 50″H
- Product Weight – 61.6 lbs.
- Capacity – 300 lbs.
- Adjustable weight bench with premium Olympic weight plate post that accepts oversized weight plates and the seven-foot Olympic bar (84″)
- Features multi-position backrest with adjustable-height crutches of up to five different angles for weightlifting and strength training
- Dual-action leg developer for lower-body workouts
- Foam-roller pads for knee and ankle support
- Steel-tubing frame and rust-resistant finish for durability
- High-density padding for comfortable seating
- Not suitable for squats for similar workouts
3. JLDN Multi-Function Adjustable Weight Bench
Best Features: Searching for an easy-to-use workout bench to complete your home gym? Look no further than JLDN. This multi-function adjustable weight bench transitions easily into flat or incline positions to make your workout feel more authentic. In addition to numerous positions for weightlifting and strength training, the bench folds easily for space-efficient storage within your home. Made of pure steel tubing and powder-coated for protection, the bench is also with high-density foam padding for comfortable seating.
- Assembled Dimensions – 42″L x 13″W x 16″H
- Product Weight – 22.1 lbs.
- Capacity – 440 lbs.
- Multi-function workout bench that smoothly transitions into incline or flat positions
- Suitable for weightlifting and overall strength training
- Folds easily for space-efficient storage
- Higher-than-average weight capacity of 440 lbs.
- Made of pure steel with rust-resistant powder-coating
- High-density foam cushion for comfortable seating
- Not suitable for use with the Olympic bar
2. Marcy Adjustable Weight Bench for Home Gym SB-670
Best Features: If you are building your own home gym and need a workout bench that fully integrates with other equipment, the Marcy SB-670 is the best adjustable weight bench for you. This bench features adaptable-height crutches that allow it to attach to other equipment, including squat racks, half cages, and powerline machines. The backrest is adjustable to six positions for upper body exercises that include incline dumbbell workouts, military sit-ups, decline curls, and flat presses. In addition to working your arms, chest, and abs, the bench has a tilting seat that you can adjust to three positions for lower-body workouts. For example, you can adjust it to a flat bench for split squats or to a slant board for leg lifts. Boasting a powder-coated steel frame, the Marcy SB-670 bench also features deluxe-boxed, high-density foam upholstery to ensure workout comfort from start to finish.
- Assembled Dimensions – 52″L x 25″W x 46.5″H
- Product Weight – 51.4 lbs.
- Capacity – 300 lbs.
- Floor-to-Bench Height – 18.5″H
- Folded – 54″L x 25″W x 10.75″H
- Premium adjustable weight bench specifically for home gyms
- Adaptable to fully integrate with other equipment like squat racks, half cages, and powerline machines
- Backrest adjustable to six positions for upper body exercises
- Tilting seat adjustable to three positions for lower-body workouts
- Deluxe-boxed, high-density foam upholstery for comfortable seating
- Transport wheels and handles for easy portability at home
- Folds for easy storage at home
- Pin must be removed from seat and bench disassembled for folded storage
1. Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Weight Bench
Best Features: The Bowflex SelectTech allows you to bring the expertise of a world-renowned fitness brand into your workout space. Designed for free weight or strength training workouts, this bench is adjustable to six different positions. The angle adjustment ranges from a 17-degree decline to a 90-degree incline for upper-body workouts, and the bench also comes with a detachable leg hold-down bar for lower-body workouts. Crafted to naturally correct and stabilize posture, this bench includes a 30-year warranty on its sturdy, stainless-steel frame.
- Assembled Dimensions – 56″L x 26″W x 20″H
- Product Weight – 63 lbs.
- Capacity – 600 lbs.
- Custom-designed for free weight or strength training workouts in home gyms
- Adjustable to six different positions
- Angle adjustment ranges from a 17-degree decline to 90-degree incline for upper-body workouts
- Detachable leg hold-down bar for lower-body workouts
- Helps correct and stabilize posture during workouts
- Transport wheels included
- 30-year warranty on the bench frame
- Some users have trouble with assembly
Best Adjustable Weight Benches – Buyer’s Guide
What are the Benefits of Owning an Adjustable Weight Bench?
While creating your home gym, you may already have dumbbells, weight plates, or even a treadmill. You may ask yourself, “Why do I even need an adjustable weight bench?” There are several plausible reasons.
An adjustable weight bench brings safety and authenticity to a home gym. Sure, you could technically do dumbbell curls while sitting on an old lawn chair. However, most workout benches have been ergonomically designed for stabilization, weight distribution, and posture control. With weight capacities ranging from 300 lbs. to over 800 lbs., benches also help ensure that you can safely participate in a range of weightlifting activities.
The word “adjustable” is not just an arbitrary equipment name. It is actually one of the key perks of this type of bench. An adjustable weight bench allows you to create an incline, decline, or flat surface. These adjustments help create a myriad of workouts such as bench presses, split squats, step-ups, elevated push-ups, and leg lifts. In addition, adjustable workout benches have angle variations ranging from three to 12 positions. With a handy manual and a little creativity, an adjustable weight bench becomes an ingenious way to create your full-body workout.
What Should I Look For in an Adjustable Weight Bench?
Although many specifications on an adjustable weight bench are self-explanatory, there are important factors to always keep in mind.
With workout benches, overall capacity refers to user weight plus weight set limit. If a workout bench has a weight capacity of 400 lbs., for example, you would subtract your current weight from this amount. The final number represents how pounds you can safely lift while seated on the bench. When considering capacity this way, you can see why some “big and tall” users believe that a bench capacity of 300 lbs. is much too low. For this reason, many fitness enthusiasts will choose a bench with an 800-lb. weight capacity to always be on the safe side.
If you are working out at home, size and portability are other important factors to consider. For example, an adjustable weight bench intended as a stationary part of a garage gym does not need much portability. If you plan to move the bench often, however, you may want to buy one with a handle or transport wheels. Folding benches are also important if storage space is an issue.
Comfort is not just about feeling “comfortable” – it is also a factor that enhances performance. When working out on a bench, the combination of gravity and repetitions means increased resistance against your body. After enough reps, this resistance can put strain and fatigue on your pressure points if you are not comfortable enough already. Key considerations to look for with comfort include base stability, padding, and upholstery. For example, many athletes look for benches with high-density foam and at least two inches of padding for comfort.
Upgrading your home gym with an adjustable weight bench is the perfect way to take weightlifting and strength training to the next level. While having any bench near your dumbbell set can make your gym look more authentic, an adjustable weight bench provides the angles to produce a myriad of full-body workouts. With considerations for your fitness level and storage needs, you can easily find the best adjustable weight bench to reach your fitness goals.