Buying a sewing machine can be tricky whether you’re a beginner sewer looking for your first machine or an advanced one who is looking to upgrade your current machine to a model that would help broaden your sewing skills and projects. For most sewing enthusiasts, buying new equipment can be quite overwhelming because there are many different types of sewing machines out there with different features and specifications. How do you know which is the right one for you?
On top of all those, you must consider changing circumstances because what you need today may expand as you grow into this sewing hobby. You will definitely want more specs down the road as your sewing progresses. With so many different kinds of brands, price tags, and special features, it is indeed difficult to decide. For now, take a look at this list of the top 12 best sewing machines in the market today:
12 Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition Sewing Machine with 100 Built-in Stitches and Quilting Table
This wonderful product from a reliable brand like Brother is an affordable machine that can do many things. The Project Runway name alone is enough indication of what kind of versatility this equipment can offer. It boasts of 100 built-in stitches and basic monogramming capabilities, so you can easily personalize any of your projects. The various decorative stitches can be used to embellish clothes, pillows, towels, and more.
Because it also comes with built-in stretch stitches, you an easily sew delicate materials like fleece, elastic, and other stretchy fabrics. One of its best features is that it comes with an oversized quilting table that can be used for large projects. This, combined with the various stitches, ensures that you can create amazing quilt designs. You can easily embellish and attach quilting blocks because it comes with specific stitches just for quilting.
- Type: Computerized stitch selection with a large LCD screen
- Needle: Variable needle positions
- Stitches: Provides 100 unique built-in utility, decorative and heirloom stitches. Each come multiple stitch functions, totaling to 140. This also comes with 55 alphanumeric stitches that provide basic monogramming.
- Table Specifications: Oversized wide table for quilting and larger projects
- Sewing Speed: Electronic variable
- Automatic Features: 8 auto-size button holes, automatic needle threading, auto built-in thread cutter, auto bobbin winding
- Foot Control: Can operate with or without foot control
- Free Arm: Yes and also flatbed convertible
- Portability: Easy to carry with its light weight at 9 pounds, built-in handle, and hard cover case
- Warranty: Comes with a 25 year limited warranty
- Special Features: Comes with 8 kinds of sewing feet
- The included accessories can be easily organized in the compartment arm of the machine, so you won’t misplace them.
- It comes with super wide, measuring 7mm, zigzag and decorative stitches.
- Comes with a hard cover for added product protection.
- This comes with two separate manuals, one in Spanish and one in English.
- Very affordable price.
- It is made out of plastic so it may not be as sturdy compared to other machines in the same class and category.
- This product cannot be recommended in countries that do not support 120 Voltage AC even if a voltage adapter is utilized.
Top 11 Brother Quilting and Sewing Machine, PQ1500SL, High-Speed Quilting and Sewing
This powerful machine is great for quilting and sewing and has a rightful place in the sewing rooms of serious quilters and sewing enthusiasts. This model features a pin feed mechanism that can be easily adjusted. It permits you to use exchange the feed dogs to a single pin. It offers great fabric control from multiple layers in a quilt to a delicate velvet material. Feed dog markings on the material are never an issue. There are four feed dog settings which paves the way for effective fabric control.
- Type: Electronic with no LCD displays
- Needle: Exclusive pin feed mechanism for fabric management
- Stitches: Can come up to 7mm stitch lengths
- Table Specifications: Comes with a knee lifter and extension table with a work space of 5.7” in height and 8.6” in width for easy management of bulky projects
- Sewing Speed: high speed straight stitching at up to 1,500 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features: Push button automatic thread trimmer, built-in auto needle threader, automatic needle up/down function
- Foot Control: Features full range of foot pressure adjustment
- Free Arm: Not indicated
- Portability: Industrial type of machine that makes it hard to carry
- Warranty: This comes with a 25 year limited warranty and life time free technical phone support
- Special Features: Has a special adjustable feed pin mechanism and 4 feed dog settings for max fabric control
- Projects can be easily completed because of the lightning-fast stitches.
- The push button thread trimmer saves lot of time without compromising the quality of your projects.
- The expandable table adds great width and length to accommodate all your projects.
- The automatic needle threader is hard to master, making it virtually useless because people have had to thread with their hand.
- The upper threader cutter cuts the thread too close that it unravels every single time.
- The price is a bit expensive.
Top 10 Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine – 50 Built-In Stitches
Brother Machines generally have a good reputation for a very easy to learn user interface so this particular model would be a great choice for anyone who is starting, as it gives them a good value from money, while giving them ample specs with room to grow. It is also a great product to have for advance sewing enthusiasts because of the many high tech features and attachments.
It is easy to create couture type of fashion with this version of the Project Runaway machine because it allows you to effortlessly sew on a wide variety of fabrics. There are attachments for easy addition of professional looking buttonholes, zippers, and the like. Decorative stitching is available, so you can make as much embellishments as you want to your various projects.
- Type: Computer with a clear LCD
- Needle: Comes with different specialty needles
- Stitches: Maximum stitch length is 5mm and can do 50 different stitches
- Table Specifications: Only a standard table for smaller scale projects
- Sewing Speed: 850 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features: Automatic needle threader
- Foot Control: Foot controller pedals
- Free Arm: Provided for easy sewing of cuffs
- Portability: Weighs 15.1 pounds and can be carried with its built-in handle
- Warranty: Comes with a 25 years limited warranty
- Special Features: comes with 6 specialty feet and 5 button hole capabilities
- Come with a wide arrange of options without a hefty price tag.
- Easy and reliable threading of both the top thread and bobbin which gives consistent stitches.
- The LCD display showcases the stitch that you want to use and executes it with ease.
- With 50 kinds of stitches with different functionality, you can use easily adjust the settings to get the kind of stitch you want to use.
- Comes with a quick start guide.
- This Machine is not advisable for countries that do not support 120 voltage capacity, even if a voltage regulator is used.
- Service is expensive and parts are difficult to find.
Top 9 SINGER | Tradition 2277 Sewing Machine including 23 Built-In Stitches
Singer has been a popular brand since time immemorial. In fact, their old manual sewing models have since been converted to furniture, which shows that they can really withstand the test of time. This particular Singer electric sewing machine is the basic model that is very affordable for beginners. It comes with just the right amount of product features, so as not to overwhelm newbies, but the very same products specs ensure that all basic to average jobs get accomplished. Singer comes with great tech support and a lot of online information from blogs, how-to articles, and even tutorial videos to teach their clients how to use their machines.
- Type: Fully automatic electric sewing machine
- Needle: Automatic embroidery needle threader
- Stitches: Adjustable stitch width and length and comes with 23 types of stitches and automatic tensions
- Table Specifications: Standard table
- Sewing Speed: Variable sewing speed based on setting
- Automatic Features: fully automatic one step button hole,
- Foot Control: It comes with an extra-high presser foot for thicker fabrics
- Free Arm: Yes for easy sewing of cuffs, sleeves, etc.
- Portability: Heavy duty metal frame makes it hard to carry
- Warranty: Limited 90 day warranty for adjustments, belts, rings, bulb, and other attachments; limited 2 year warranty for motors, lights, wiring, switches, speed controllers, and other electrical stuff; and limited 25 year warrant for the sewing head
- Special Features: provides a one step buttonhole feature, comes with 4 snap on presser feet
- Free arm provides storage for all the other attachments.
- Quick snap on and of presser feet for ease of use.
- Extremely affordable, making it a perfect choice for newbies.
- Perfect for all sewing types.
- Only comes with 110 Voltage, limited to certain countries.
- The bobbin is hard to wind.
8. Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and 4×4 Embroidery Machine
This machine is highly functional and comes with a lot of different functions from sewing, quilting, and embroidery. All of these have the capability of giving your projects a high-end look, while still being reasonably priced to fit small budget requirements. This SE-400 is the more high tech version of the Brother line which allows you to do all sorts of fashion, crafts, home decors, and a host of other projects with ease and confidence. It comes with an impressive collection of accessories to make your sewing life fun, pleasurable, and easy.
- Type: Computerized with touch screen LCD
- Needle: Comes with different kinds of needle
- Stitches: Comes with 67 unique sewing stitches, 70 built embroidery designs, and 5 lettering fonts
- Table Specifications: Standard table
- Sewing Speed: Can do up to 710 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features: Automatic threader cuts both top and bobbin thread with ease, automatic needle threading, and easy auto bobbin winding system
- Foot Control: Not indicated
- Free Arm: Yes
- Portability: Product is 24.1 pounds, making it a bit difficult to move around
- Warranty: Limited 25 year warranty plus free phone support for the life of the product
- Special Features: Provides computer connectivity for importing other designs and machine updates, comes with 7 feed dogs, and comes with a soft cover for the machine
- Light flood the needle area.
- Comes with an embroidery arm and an embroidery hoop.
- Come with an accessory bag containing a needle set, seam ripper, two screwdrivers, a cleaning brush, 2 spool caps, touch pen, and 3 bobbins.
- The tensions isn’t tight enough to make a uniform and clean embroidery.
- There are hardly an repair shops nearby, and sending it back to the manufacturer costs a great deal of money.
7 Brother Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine, HC1850, 130 Built-in Stitches
Another fully reliable computerized machine from Brother that is great for both sewing and quilting. Quilters will love the spring action quilting foot mechanism, along with its capacity to do free-motion quilting. This multipurpose Brother HC 1850 is easy to use for additional touches like creative embellishments, monogramming work, decorative stitches, and the like. Apart from quilting, it can be used for a variety of craft projects because it has been exceptionally designed for flexibility and ease of use, which is evident in the various attachments that come with the machine.
- Type: Fully Computerized
- Needle: Come with an advance stitch selector for a variety of needles
- Stitches: is able to provide 130 kinds of built-in stitches
- Table Specifications: Comes with an extra wide table for larger projects
- Sewing Speed: Can do up to 850 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features:
- Foot Control: Can be operated with or without the food pedal
- Free Arm: Not indicated
- Portability: Light weight with a built in handle for ease of transfer
- Warranty: Come with a limited 25 year warranty
- Special Features: Come with 8 presser feet, 8 one step button hole styles, and an instructional DVD
- Convenient flip chart at the front of the machine for guidance on the different kinds of stitches.
- Comes with a detachable wide table for bigger projects.
- Sews wide array of fabrics because of a high tech feed system.
- Has a backlit touch screen LCD that lets you choose your settings with ease.
- The upper thread top kept breaking and it was prone to bunching up.
- The fabric has a tendency to get jammed into the machine.
6 Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
The Janome 2212 comes from Janome America, which is a company committed to providing quality sewing equipment to its clients. This particular model only has the basic features. With 12 ordinary stitches, do not expect any decorative or embroidery type of stitches to embellish your work. This is a great machine for beginners because it is easy to operate and doesn’t have a lot of confusing details and attachments.
- Type: Mechanical machine
- Needle: Comes with several types of adjustments
- Stitches: 12 built-in stitches with a four step buttonhole, but can be adjusted to 4mm only
- Table Specifications: Standard table only
- Sewing Speed: Up to 1,000 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features: Mostly manual adjustment
- Foot Control: Comes with an extra high presser foot lift
- Free Arm: Included
- Portability: Weighs 16 pounds and can be carried when needed
- Warranty: 25 year limited warranty
- Special Features: Comes with an easy turn dial pattern selection and 5 piece feed dog
- Comes with a functional light so you can see your work with ease.
- Projects can be finished swiftly because of the speed of the sewing.
- This is an affordable machine for something that doe the basic functions well.
- Only comes in 110 voltage for US use only.
- Is not build to handle sturdier materials.
- Limited attachments and capabilities.
5. JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine
This semi industrial sewing machine is favored by quilters because it offers a drop feeding function. This is very durable because it is made out of aluminum and provides very little vibrations when in actual use. At its price, this is not considered a starter machine, but one that can be used heavily on a daily basis. This can stitch fairly fast so you can finish your projects easily.
- Type: Full rotary hook mechanical machine
- Needle: Basic
- Stitches: Offers straight stitches with a maximum stitch of 6mm
- Table Specifications: Includes an extension table for larger projects
- Sewing Speed: 1500 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features: automatic needle threader and automatic thread cutter
- Foot Control: One pedal operation
- Free Arm: Not indicated
- Portability: Weighs 37.8 pounds so it is heavy
- Warranty: Comes with a limited 5 year warranty
- Special Features: Comes with an aluminum die cast arm and bed that offers low vibrations and comes with LED lights
- Durability of the entire machine because it is not made of plastic.
- Perfect for those looking for a heavy-duty straight stitch machine.
- Noise is very minimal.
- Comes with knee lift lever for ease of use.
- Very expensive equipment.
- This machine only comes with one stitch.
4 SINGER | | Quantum Stylist 9960 with Amazing Features
The Singer Quantum is a very lightweight and portable that is loaded with many features at an affordable price. It is a great machine for beginners to play with, and it is also perfect for highly skilled sewers that are looking for a wide array of options to amp up their sewing projects. The build-in needle threader is a dream that reduces eye strain as it can literally hook the thread from the spool to the needle eye in a matter of seconds. This can be used for a variety of creative projects from clothes, crafts, decors, etc. Personalizing projects is a dream with the Quantum because it comes with so many font styles that are unavailable with the other brands.
- Type: Computerize feature rich machine
- Needle: Electronic twin needle settings
- Stitches: come with 600 built-in stitches, including 5 fonts, and 13 one step buttonholes
- Table Specifications: Comes with an extension table for larger projects
- Sewing Speed: sews up to 850 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features: automatic needle threader, automatic bobbin winding, automatic reverse, automatic tension
- Foot Control: Extra high presser foot lifter
- Free Arm: Yes and it serves as storage for the various attachments
- Portability: Light weight and portable
- Warranty: 25 years limited warranty
- Special Features: One touch stitch selection, top loading bobbin with a clear cover, electronic auto pilot, and 18 presser feet types are include
- The internal skeleton is made up of a heavy duty metal frame.
- So many stitches that you can literally dream up of anything creative and have a go at it.
- This is extremely well priced for what it can do.
- This machine requires a plastic bobbin.
- It can only be used with 110 voltage and not even with a transformer.
Top 3 Brother Sewing Machine, XM2701, Lightweight Sewing Machine with 27 Stitches
This very affordable Brother versions is perfect for many different types of sewing projects that is suitable for both beginner and advance sewers. Beginners get to build on their knowledge, while advance sewers get a lot of functions without paying too much. This machine offers versatility with the different built-in stitches and the various types of sewing feet. Stitches can be changed with a rotating dial. This product is also resistant to jamming making it a breeze to use. One of the best parts about this Brother model is that it will not break your wallet.
- Type: Mechanical machine
- Needle: Basic
- Stitches: Comes with 27 built-in unique stitches
- Table Specifications: Standard work area
- Sewing Speed: Maximum sewing speed of 800 stitches per minute
- Automatic Features: Automatic needle threader
- Foot Control: Standard
- Free Arm: Check
- Portability: Very portable at 12.1 pounds
- Warranty: 25 years limited warranty and free technical support for the life of the product
- Special Features: Jam resistant, top drop in bobbin, 6 sewing feet, and brightly lit LED work area
- This comes with an instructional DVD that is very easy to understand even for newbies.
- The user manual also comes in both English and Spanish.
- Offers a lot of versatility in terms of stitches.
- The LED light is too dim and doesn’t give ample light.
- The bobbin is plastic and had some issues.
Top 2 SINGER | 7258 100-Stitch Packed with Easy to Use Features
This particular Singer model comes with a heavier heavy duty metal frame that ensures it will be more durable and make your investment last longer. With tons of built-in stitch capabilities that can be customized in width and length, sewing different kids of projects is a breeze. From fashion, home, crafts, and decorative sewing, this small but sturdy Singer will help you get the job done. Most importantly, it is reasonably priced so you are going to get value for your money.
- Type: Computerized machine
- Needle: Programmable 15J needles
- Stitches: Comes with 100 built-in stitches, 76 of which are decorative stitches
- Table Specifications: Standard
- Sewing Speed: Comes with a speed control lever, but max speed not indicated
- Automatic Features: Automatic needle threader, automatic winding clutch, automatic bobbin winding
- Foot Control: Comfortable foot pedal with extra high presser foot lifter, speed control, and automatic presser foot pressure control
- Free Arm: Not indicated
- Portability: This is not so heavy at 14.6 pounds
- Warranty: Limited 25 years warranty
- Special Features: Comes with 10 kinds of presser feet
- Comes with a LED light that illuminates the work space.
- The instruction manual comes in English, Spanish, and French.
- Comes with a large LCD that shows your options.
- Warranted for use only in the US and Canada with 110 Volts.
- Many complaints about the decorative stitch mode giving problems.
Top 1 Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i
This model of Brother is designed to get you hooked on sewing in no time. It is great for beginners with many automated features. It is also packed with many advanced details that you can learn and grow with as your skills progress. In spite of its many high tech capabilities, the good old reliable brother was able to still make this machine affordable, making it number one on many people’s list. And it is not wonder why because it gives true value for money while exemplifying great performance.
- Type: Computerize machine
- Needle: Adjustable needles to suit your needs
- Stitches: Comes with 60 built in stitches and 7 kinds of one step buttonholes with stitch length of 5mm
- Table Specifications: Comes with a wide table for extra space
- Sewing Speed: Max stitches per minute is 850
- Automatic Features: Auto needle threader
- Foot Control: Not indicated
- Free Arm: Check
- Portability: Portable and lightweight at only 13 pounds
- Warranty: Limited 25 year warranty
- Special Features: Comes with an LCD display, 8 sewing feet, and protective hardcover
- Provides true value for money.
- Very easy to understand interface especially for newbies.
- Has a lot of features that makes the machine super versatile.
- Not built for daily heavy duty sewing because of the product material.
- It can only be threaded when the needle and the presser foot are in the up position
Now that you know the best sewing machines in the market, you can go to your nearest dealer to see these machines for yourself and to test out their different capabilities to see which needle power will work best for your handmade cloth creations. Read this buying guide below to give you an idea of what you should look for. Knowing all these details will also help you ask your dealer the right questions. A sewing machine is costly, and it will be with you for a long time. Choosing the wrong one can cause a great deal of pain and frustration as you do your many projects. Here are some of the things you have to consider when buying your sewing machine:
How much you are willing to spend is the primary consideration in choosing your machine. It is always best to save a little bit more to get a quality machine that will last for many years. More importantly, how much you are willing to spend will determine what machine features will be available to you. Pick a machine that you can use for a long time because it gives you a better value in the long run.
If budget is really tight, consider a used machine or find a dealer that will allow trade-ins. If you intend to use the machine occasionally, the choosing those with basic features can keep that price down. These days, many sewing machine manufacturers have crafted fine sewing machines that do not break the bank. Most of these cheaper models are made of plastic. Just be careful when you use them cause if a part breaks, then repairing the plastic machine can be difficult.
Type of Machine
Choose between a mechanical, computerized, or electronic hybrid. First, mechanical machines are simple to operate, costs less, but lacks precision and needs to be maintained. Second, computerized ones come with many benefits that will give a beautiful and precise stitch every single time. These ones come with highly specialized motors, that are a bit more expensive, but great for heavy duty use. This will also need regular updates and services by a professional. Last, they hybrid of the two comes with a computer screen but a mechanical interior. These usually don’t have embroidery capabilities and are limited in abilities when compared to a full computer one.
Check the Stitches it Can Provide
It is vital to check that the machine can provide quality stitches that you will actually be using on a regular basis. The core of stitching uses only two: the straight and zigzag stitch. If the machine you choose are able to do those with ease, then you have everything down pat. The rest of the built-in stitches offer variety in term of embroidery, decor, or monogramming.
Many high end machines come many different special features to make your sewing life a lot easier. Most machines now offer an automatic needle threader, which really comes in handy if you don’t want to strain your eyes. This is usually lumped with an automatic threader cutter that cuts the thread for you. Needle position adjustment can also be available, which comes in handy if you are working with zippers or top-stitching. Others are able to offer adjustment of the speed control, which is essential if you are working with delicate fabrics. There’s also lighting, lcd, display, knee lifter, different lcd displays, attachments, and feet.
Be sure to come and check the machine you are considering in person. It is best to see what it can do with your own eyes. Establish a good relationship with the dealer who has an excellent service department should your machine need any special maintenance needs. Research various brands and see what specifications match your needs. For instance, if you are thinking of dabbling into quilting in the near future, then it would be prudent to buy a sewing machine with quilting capabilities. Doing your research will allow you to make the most informed choice so that you will not waste your hard earned money.